The Bicycling Community: Create One. Be One.
January 21-22 - Pierre/Fort Pierre, SD – AmericInn Lodge & Suites, Fort Pierre
Proudly presented by the South Dakota Bicycle Coalition with support from the Argus Leader Tour de Kota.
Support Better Bicycling in South Dakota!
Connect with bicyclists, leaders and advocates from throughout South Dakota. Learn about resources for better bicycling and best practices you can use in your community and for South Dakota.
Lodging reservations at AmericInn: (605) 223-2358. Call by Friday, Jan. 7 and mention SD Bicycle Coalition for special room rates starting at $87.99 (plus tax). For other lodging options, visit www.pierre.org.
Printable flier with program details and information. Feel free to share!
Interested in being a bicycle summit vendor?
Friday, Jan. 21 – Evening Reception
7-8 pm – Social hour. Summit check-in, registration. Featuring early registration for the Tour de Kota.
8-10 pm – “Telling our Stories” meet ‘n’ greet. Meet other South Dakota bicyclists, advocates, leaders and volunteers. Appetizers and cash bar.
Saturday, Jan. 22 – Presentations & Workshops
Registration opens at 8 am. Session runs 8:30 am to 5 pm
- Bike Culture and Bicycle Friendly Communities – Ann Freiwald, Alta Planning & Design, Madison, WI
- Great Ideas Get Kids Biking & Walking in South Dakota – SD Safe Routes to School, SD DOT and SRTS communities
- Economic Impacts of Bicycling and Active Travel – Ginny Sullivan, Adventure Cycling Association
- Building Partnerships to Build Singletrack – Panel featuring trail leaders and volunteers from Sioux Falls and Black Hills
- Accommodating Bicycles on City Streets – Ann Freiwald, ALTA Planning. A discussion on facilities and planning for bicycles on city streets.
- Developing Local Programs with Safe Routes to School – with SD SRTS. A review of the application process for funding through SRTS. Get rolling for your community!
- Educating South Dakota Bicyclists – Jim Books and Michael Christensen, LCIs – An introduction to bicycle education curriculum through the League of American Bicyclists and South Dakota’s only League Cycling Instructors.
- Attracting the Bicycle Traveler to South Dakota – Ginny Sullivan, USBRS – Discuss South Dakota’s opportunities to attract the bicycle traveler and possibilities to develop the market.
- Creating Trails in Communities – singletrack panel – Review the process and develop contacts to create trails in your communities
- Promoting Bicycling for Health – SD Dept. of Health, Healthy SD – Discuss existing health promotion activities and how to incorporate bicycling for health at the local and state levels.